Site Menu
Forum HomePage
  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in   
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberListMemberList   UserGroupsUserGroups    
 My ProfileMy Profile   My FavoritesMy Favorites   My MessagesMy Messages 

SSS Initiative to legalize sacred sex instruction
Go to Page Previous  1, 2
GO TO: Forum HomePage >> Legal Sacred Sex Instruction
EZ-Print View  SSS Founder Gary Joseph is away.<br><br>Topic is locked: you can view, but cannot post.  SSS Founder Gary Joseph is away.<br><br>Forum is locked: you can view, but cannot post.
 Search this Page: Press Ctrl+f to find any term or phrase on this page (Cmd+f for Mac).
rahasya
Rising Contributor

Meditational states    Posted: July 16, 2006 Reply with quote

Moody, I'd just like to add one caution.

There's much technique that enables various degrees of "God Intoxication". Many are useful for the glimpse through the window that is Satori. Sometimes, in distant history, someone attributed their attainment to the practice, or advisede disciples get a glimpse through it. Usually once.

These practices don't enable awakening, any more than heroin or anything else that can provide that glimpse. They are a look out of a window, not a walk on the street.

I don't know which technique you're calling "tantric sadhana", which means "tantric practice" and refers to a huge range of technique, almost a generic term.

Don't get mesmerised by beautiful visions and beatifications - they are lovely indeed, but there's time enough for that when you're awake, or dead.

To my students, I say "beware of esoteric TV" when they discover entrancing states of bliss, via whichever technique.

Most of Tantric Practice (not supporting exercises, or directed meditations) is specifically designed to trigger awareness.

Awareness, usually translated from the Eastern as "meditation", unflinching awareness and acceptance of the real, howsoever it looks, is the gift, the fruit, the divine nectar of tantric practice.

Rahasya

Rahasya
advaittantra.com
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

sexual teaching & healing    Posted: July 17, 2006 Reply with quote

Moody, first I'd like to thank you for posting and sharing your experiences and views. You are exactly the reason why sacred sex instruction SHOULD be legal: because there are genuine, dedicated professionals like you out there who have something more to offer the world than is currently legally acceptable, and there are many more people with sexual and related issues who aren't getting the help they want and need because our social and legal system doesn't allow it.

Yes, there are details to work out so that the system is as ideal as possible and people aren't taken advantage of. Nor do I suggest that any system will be fool-proof, or that there won't be bumps along the road, especially at the beginning, if we legalize this practice. But it's a road worth opening, because the need is great, and the good that will ultimately come out of it is even greater.

Sacred sex instruction will be like every other profession in that it will evolve in time. Practitioners and clients alike will learn what methods work best; practitioners will grow in their own experience and better be able to assist clients; and the best practitioners will become known and others will follow their methods. It is no different than psychology, medicine, or any other therapeutic field, all of which have changed and grown over the many years of their presence in society.

You mentioned several points I'd like to address:

Moody said:
I also faced clients who wanted a “happy ending.â€

Obviously there's a difference between clients coming to a general massage therapist for a 'happy ending' and those specifically coming to a sexual healer for help with sexual issues and/or training in sacred sex practice. Your response to the former is appropriate, but that doesn't mean we should deny your right to practice the latter, nor the right of clients to find assistance for those issues.

Moody said:
For me to pretend to start sexual healing on a client would eventually lead to the loss of my partner, whom I love...

Yes, partners will have to be mature enough to accept this line of work in those they love. A big part of this is their own experience and understanding of it. When they see the value of it in their own lives, they will appreciate the need for it to be shared with others. They'll also better be able to separate the professional service being offered from the emotional committment that comes with love.

Moody said:
I would have a hard time doing sexual healing and advancing full body orgasm to every single person who comes into the door.

That's a choice every practitioner (and client) has to make. And that's not a problem; it simply is what it is -- a choice. People regularly choose doctors, counselors, even mechanics and plumbers, etc. because they 'trust' them, or feel comfortable with them, or can open up easier to them. People feel more connection with some than with others. Granted sexual instruction is more intimate and some practitioners will also feel the need for a connection to be there before taking on a client. Both parties simply conduct business with those they're comfortable with.

Moody said:
I noticed that a lot of sexual healers....don’t think it’s important to do tantric sadhana.... What made me feel reluctant to trust these healers IS because I do tantric sadhana and it’s hard to even remotely even imagine do be a tantric person without doing tantric inner spiritual lessons on a daily basis.... I never met a man who truly could do meditation even with me together in a united fashion.

Your desire for a genuinely spiritual guide/teacher/partner is admirable, but I'd invite you to be open to more ways in which that can manifest. Genuine sexual enlightenment encompasses BOTH experiences you mention: deep spiritual bliss and bodily ecstasy. One can approach this enlightenment from either side: through meditational experience that deepens over time and floods the body with bliss, or by playing in the waves of bodily ecstasy until they deepen into true spiritual experience. You've chosen the meditational approach; others choose the bodily approach. In either case, when you reach the goal, both experiences will be there together.

Because of this, you can't necessarily evaluate a person's experience from the kind of 'practice' they do or don't do. My own experience (which is admittedly atypical) is a perfect example: I spent many years doing meditational practices, with no sexual component involved at all. This resulted in a meditational state (to use your language) that is with me regardless of what activity I'm in, whether sexual or not. Now I rarely engage in 'meditational practices', and when I enjoy sex it is probably more like those other practitioners you spoke of. But that doesn't mean that I don't have my spiritual bliss along with it.

I'd also like to echo (and perhaps clarify a bit) the point Rahasya made: don't get caught up in refined meditational states on the way to full awakening. A teacher of mine once said, "There is only one true spiritual experience: pure consciousness." Meaning that meditation can reveal many pleasing states on the way there, don't get so caught up in them that you don't let them go and arrive at the pure experience of Self Awareness. Or for that matter, that you dismiss practitioners or your partner who are approaching the path from a different direction. (They of course, should also respect your path.)

Moody said:
I just hope that all this sexual healing will not become another capitalistic enterprise without regards for the sincere spiritualist.

I'm glad you included that qualifier '...without regards for the sincere spiritualist' at the end. My vision is that it DOES become a capitalistic enterprise, but then I have a different view of money and capitalism than most (see the Sacred Sex Economy forum). My vision is that we evolve a way for capitalist incentive (i.e. the profit motive) to ENCOURAGE the best type of sacred sex instruction, which of course includes its spiritual value. In other words, money is to be made not in taking advantage of people and skimping on the quality of your practice, but rather in providing the best service. That's the idea behind a free market economy in the first place; we just haven't executed it well.

Moody said:
Is it OK for the sexual healers to have sex with married people....

Everything is 'OK', it's just a matter of everyone understanding it, accepting it, and dealing with it. Within those constraints, every client and practitioner must decide for themselves what's comfortable for them. It should be a personal choice, not a law.

That said, there are several professional 'codes' a practitioner can follow to successfully navigate this issue. They follow a sequence -- the first is ideal; if that won't work look at the second, and so on.

1) Train the client's partner to work with them. For example, a man comes to a female practitioner; she advises him to bring his wife, to whom she gives methods for teaching or assisting her husband herself. The teacher acts as a non-sexual advisor. This works best for general sacred sex instruction, but can also be effective in dealing with issues or dysfunction. However, it is slower to bring results because the client's partner is not fully trained for this work. (The movie 'Bliss', reviewed in our Sacred Sex Cinema forum, uses this method.)

2) Allow your client's partner to be present during sessions. A lot of the friction surrounding this issue isn't about what actually goes on in the treatment room, but rather what the left out partner THINKS goes on there.

3) The partner accompanies the client to the session, but sits in the waiting room. Often just that presence is enough to create confidence that no unprofessional business is going on.

4) Invite both partners in for one or more general, non-sexual counseling sessions before any sexual work is done. Explain to the partner about your work and specifically what you'll be giving the client. This builds trust and confidence in both partners.

5) Offer to work separately with your client's partner too. When they see the value in their own lives, they'll appreciate and accept its value for their partner. They'll also witness firsthand your professionalism and sincere intentions.

6) As a last resort, if your client believes it's not appropriate for their partner to be involved in any way, even coming in to talk with you, at least encourage your client to be open with their partner about the sessions, and to share experiences and progress as appropriate.

I would be reluctant to take on a married client who can't meet one of the above conditions. If you find yourself in that situation, try to learn why none of the options work for the client. Many times the client thinks there are irresolvable issues, but when they reveal them you can offer a solution that works.

If even that fails, it is ultimately up to each practitioner to decide whether or not to take the client.

Moody said:
...should we do away with the family structure all together so we have a more authentic and true society?

That's a discussion for a different forum.

Moody said:
...forgive me for asking uncomfortable questions.

It's the uncomfortable questions that bring out the most needed answers, because they touch on issues that affect us deeply, and for which we don't currently have solutions.

Posted: July 17, 2006 Reply with quote

Actually, I should read more and write less. A lot of my concerns are covered very well. I feel so alone in my journey sometimes, having to deal with some of these issues on my own that I tend to just "express." I am rather soft and tend to avoid clashes. You have helped me already. You don't know how relieved I am that I found you. My heart has been aching for people to talk to about the issues I came across as a "healer." Also, because I can't "compete" (and I won't) with the sex workers I developed my massage skills to such high level of nurturing that they are on their own powerfully spiritually transformational. I had clients who went to tantric sex workers who experienced my "non-sexual" healing as more spiritual and more powerful than the work with the sexual healers they had been to. It took me years to develop that kind of work. That for me was healing after having been degraded by tantric sex workers for not giving enough! I love when my clients say something like, you are too good - you don't need to do anything more. I am in bliss." It happened. My ego felt soothed a bit from the pain of not feeling able to give freely.

I love you for having been there for me. I have so many questions and nobody to talk to. This journey I am on is not an easy one sometimes. I think when I tried to talk to tantric workers about the issues, they backed out as if afraid of me. I never wanted to hurt anybody, I wanted to find friends to openly talk about my fears and worries. I wanted to be accepted for who I am and somehow even find community. I am excluded unless I pay them. The traditional tantrics are more nurturing when it comes to community (and I am glad to have them in my life because they are there when things go bad). They are into trying to get "spiritual liberation" and are absorbed in another world. All that "prostitution healer" stuff is really "too much" for them. They would just laugh anyway. I wish the term "prostitution" would be eliminated because of the abuse issues it carries inherently.

Huh?? Eye Roll !!!

Gary I send you my love! Namaste! Thank you! luv
Moody
New Contributor

Posted: July 17, 2006 Reply with quote

GaryJoseph said:
Your desire for a genuinely spiritual guide/teacher/partner is admirable, but I'd invite you to be open to more ways in which that can manifest. Genuine sexual enlightenment encompasses BOTH experiences you mention: deep spiritual bliss and bodily ecstasy. One can approach this enlightenment from either side: through meditational experience that deepens over time and floods the body with bliss, or by playing in the waves of bodily ecstasy until they deepen into true spiritual experience. You've chosen the meditational approach; others choose the bodily approach. In either case, when you reach the goal, both experiences will be there together.

I actually experienced the bodily approach as well. That is why I understand some of the issues. I know the meditational approach and the bodily approach. The bodily approach was more difficult because it was not easy to find the right partner in the past and I had to rely on my own. I stopped looking outside of me. Nothing compared to the love I got during sadhana. It was lasting for many days and nights at times. I never slept anymore. I remember asking the universe to stop all this bliss because I needed to get work done. The bliss stopped at once! I wish all people would be open to both sides. Imnagine what else could be evolve.... There is just so much more to come! luv
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Community    Posted: July 18, 2006 Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words. You know, I founded the Society for Sacred Sexuality and this website for exactly those same reasons. I've had a desire to create a global community around this knowledge for quite a long time. After personal teaching for several years (counseling, workshops, etc.), I felt that not much progress was being made. I would help a few individuals, and then they would go back to their lives, and a few more would come and I'd start over from ground zero again. The internet offered the opportunity not only to reach so many more people, but to have everything that's offered available to all at anytime. So if someone 10 years from now is facing the same issues as you, they can read these posts and find the same solace you have. It is both an instant and permanent 'community'. My dream now is that it reaches enough people and transforms enough lives that the yearning for it in the real world becomes tangible enough to create it. Then, viola! As you say, there is so much more to come.

Regarding your highly developed massage skills, I understand exactly what you say about awakening people's energy through it, even when it is not overtly sexual. It also can trigger a sexual healing. The reason, as you probably know, is that sexual energy is the same as spiritual energy (life energy). It is one and the same universal energy flowing through the body in different directions. When it flows up into the heart and mind, opening and expanding both, we call it spiritual energy. When it flows primarily down and into the genitals, we call it sexual energy. This of course, is the reason why sex is such a powerful tool for spiritual awakening: because it rouses your energy like none other. All that is left then is to redirect it. Then, ahem, there is much more to come! Hardy-har

I invite you, if you haven't already, to read Lesson 5 in the Sacred Sex Lesson Forum. It deals with massage in much the same way -- not so much as a tool for arousal, but mainly as one for allowing your aroused sexual energy to flow fully through the body to bring about orgasmic release. I'm sure you'd have much insight to contribute there.

You also might like the forum on early sacred sex societies for insight about the term 'prostitution'. Reading a little about the history of others who have walked your path (and been persecuted for it) may comfort you in your own journey. You most definitely are NOT alone -- today or at any time throughout history.

I have mixed feelings about the term. At first, coming from a strong spiritual background, I didn't like it and thought it demeaned the work of the sexual priestesses to whom that label was first applied. But in my experience of teaching sacred sex, I've come across women who wear the 'sacred prostitute' label proudly (even as a banner for advertising), and I realized it is actually a very potent spiritual term (when used with the 'sacred' qualifier in front. The term sacred prostitute indicates exactly what sacred sex is all about: marrying the highest spiritual experience with the 'lowest' bodily one so that both (as we discussed above) are lived together at all times. 'Sacred' refers to the spiritual, and 'Prostitute' refers to the most profane value of body. Together, the term 'Sacred Prostitute' is a marriage of sacred and profane. I think it's a very relevant point in a forum that discusses the legality of what is, under current law, labeled 'prostitution': sacred sex instruction.

Anyway, it's food for thought. I think you're doing quite well dealing with these issues on your own. I'm glad you've found a platform here to express yourself.

Massage vs. Sacred Sex work    Posted: July 18, 2006 Reply with quote

This post is about choosing sacred sex work as your profession. The issues involved in making this choice are often directly related to the legality of sacred sex instruction that this forum addresses. It is a very real and practical choice that many must make, as shown by the above discussion.

It's very common that massage therapists and related professionals feel a calling to do sacred sex work. They are already familiar with awakening the body's energy to evoke both a healing and spiritual response. It's only natural therefore that they see how working with the sex energy can evoke the same, often more powerfully.

Unfortunately, professionals in these fields, who are overwhelmingly women, must choose between between legal and socially accepted, and doing what they feel is their calling and also what typically better meets their financial needs. It is for precisely this reason that we seek to legalize sacred sex instruction (and also to remove any social stigma around it). No woman (or man, for that matter), should have to make this difficult choice. Sacred sex work is a beneficial profession to society just like any other (see my Interview on this issue for details). Therefore, those who desire to pursue this profession should have legal right to do so. They should also have the same respect in society given to other professionals.

Until the legal and social situation change, and often even after that due to personal instilled values, workers considering this profession face a profound choice. The following points may help such people choose the best course for their personal situation.

First, be aware that the transition from seeing yourself as a massage therapist (or any other profession) to being a sacred sex worker is just that -- a transition. Allow yourself time (and it may take years) to move through that transition, to the point where you feel comfortable and confident doing sacred sex work. Often during this transition, your intellect will go back & forth with reasons why you should or shouldn't take this step. Your inner feeling will be 'I don't know'. The best way to interpret this experience is that 'I don't know means NO.' It is not the time for you to take that step. When you have sorted all the issues out in your own heart and mind, the 'I don't know' feeling will leave, and there will be no more question. Then you should pursue the work.

In the meantime during the transition, the best thing to do is educate yourself. This will be your natural desire anyway. In most cases, sacred sex work will be somewhat new, and you will want to learn and experience as much as you can about it. Note that sacred sex education includes both learning AND experience. Get as much as you can from every available source -- books, internet, workshop, personal counseling, partner(s), and of course personal practice. This 'education' is what will build your comfort and conviction toward doing this work. As you personally grow through your own sacred sex, you will also clearly see what it is you are to give others. This is the primary vision you need as a sacred sex teacher. When it is there, your work will have focus and meaning.

The other thing you can do during this transition (assuming you are currently a massage therapist or otherwise somewhat related to sacred sex work) is to appreciate the sacred sex component in what you already do. For example, a massage therapist works to awaken and move the life energy through the body to maintain or improve the health of the client. Know that this life energy is the same as sex energy, and you are really offering a non-sexual way of evoking a sacred sex response. This not only expands your appreciation for your own work, but more importantly, lets you begin seeing yourself in the role of a sacred sex worker. You need not advertise or even indicate this new perception to your clients. However, it lets you grow comfortable in the role of sacred sex worker without any outward life change. This again will speed your transition.

If after this you still feel that you need a transition phase before directly engaging in sacred sex work, take the above perception one step further. Continue offering the same massage or other therapeutic services that you have been, but begin to promote yourself and speak in the language of sacred sex. As stated above, it IS the same energy, and you are legitimately offering a form of sacred sex work. (Be sure to be clear about the limitations of what you offer, so as not to mislead clients. Phrases like 'a non-sexual, therapeutic way to transform your sexual energy into spiritual experience' are appropriate.) This again lets you grow comfortable in the role of a sacred sex worker while offering the same service you are already comfortable giving. Most clients, even if they're accustomed to your previous work, will appreciate the new insight into its relation to their sex life.

Ultimately, each individual must make their own choice if and when to do sacred sex work. The above ideas can help clarify that issue for you, and let you accept the natural transition you may be going through.

The problem is touch....    Posted: January 21, 2008 Reply with quote

While not Constitutionally protected, it seems that contact among people is fine as long as there is no contact. All the laws, morals, fears, taboos seem to be rooted in the fear to experience the one thing that separates us from rocks; our response to touch.

Prostitution, when done independently and consensually, to a sexual union with a friend, to massage, to a hug for a friend, to a handshake, to a shoulder pat, to an uninvited but unaffected nudge (to a glance, to a thought, in some circles) all make up the awareness of humanity.

But some humans fear this, some humans avoid it, and some humans want to prevent this.

Why?

I don't know - religion, power, following the other sheep or ignorance?

Why can't consenting people consent to be people and use their acquired intelligence to avoid those simple and complex threats to individual liberty and group endeavors?

I have seen it done, and know it can happen again. You can too.
Maybe someday we'll meet and make it happen.
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Re: The problem is touch....    Posted: January 22, 2008 Reply with quote

Hear, hear....

anthranill said:
While not Constitutionally protected, it seems that contact among people is fine as long as there is no contact.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant to say, but it's so true. And nowhere is the irony more present than in the bodywork industry. Bodywork, the aim of which is to heal the body (and mind, and soul) through the modality of touch (contact) has as an ethical rule that there should be no sexual contact. This despite the fact that bodywork consciously works with the life energy - strengthening and balancing it - and that the 1st & 2nd chakra areas, including the sex center, are the very CORE of our life energy. It's like trying educate a person while making the mind off limits. Very strange indeed.

I'm not sure I agree with the 'not Constitutionally protected' part though. The Constitution states, aside from its freedom of speech and expression guarantees, that 'No State shall enter into any...Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts' (Article I, Section 10). This guarantees the right of consenting adults to enter into any business arrangement they see fit. Of course the contract cannot include illegal activity (e.g. you can't legally hire an assassin), but together with the general freedoms that include consensual sex, I think it makes a pretty strong case.

Why is there such fear of this. I think it comes down to its power. Sexuality is associated with such power - using that for positive experience is the whole aim of sacred sex - that we are afraid of it being used the wrong way, to harm people. And with the history of sex for the last few thousand years, you can't blame people. But that's only because people haven't known about an alternative, positive type of sexual activity. I would hope that through sacred sex education, that its positive value can be more widely known, and laws adapted accordingly.

anthranill said:
Maybe someday we'll meet and make it happen.

I hope so too.

Guff    Posted: January 3, 2009 Reply with quote

This whole website and its founding ethos seems seriously deficient in important ways. It is founded on an Indian (Hindu) tradition, a perspective which it uses to attack conventional morality and dismiss it and its religious manifestion and centuries of tradition as guff. Can those so dismissive of the surrounding, normal culture really have a superior grasp of the sacred? The idea that most Western spiritual commentators are simply lost in a mass deception does not do them justice, nor is there adequate explanation/analysis of why that should be the case.
The website and Society talks about 'sacred sex instruction,' somewhat coyly blurring the key distinction between teaching about sex and actually selling it. Surely we all know that all articulate practitioners of prostitution will defend themselves in these terms?
Try to help me here - I am not seeking to cause unproductive offence. I am coming from a somewhat different culture, it appears. For example, the 'spiritual lady' at the head of the forum pages appears to me, far from sacred, to be wearing a lewd expression.
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Re: Guff    Posted: January 4, 2009 Reply with quote

Hi -- thanks for your views. I'm not sure how much of the website you've read, but I'd like to clarify some misunderstandings.

First, the Society for Sacred Sexuality is NOT founded on Indian or Hindu traditions. Sacred sex has a philosophical origin in the nature of life, which you can read about here. It also has a historical origin in the earliest human societies and civilizations that grew up in the Middle East (what archaelogists call the 'Cradle of Civilization'). You can read about that here.

While India did later develop probably the most advanced and systematic understanding and practice of sacred sex, it is nevertheless just one of many traditions. The only reason it is more represented in the graphics on this website (which probably led to your mistaken conclusion) is that it is the most recognizable tradition today that we associate with this type of teaching. I apologize if that's caused a misunderstanding.

Regarding attacking "conventional morality", first of all, we don't attack anything. Our effort to legalize sacred sex instruction is one that defends sacred sex from attacks on the grounds that it is immoral. We base that position on universal truths of life, and how they impact human values & morality. To learn more about these, read:I'd also point out that you need to be careful when you use words like 'conventional' and 'tradition'. You say we "dismiss [conventional morality] and its religious manifestion and centuries of tradition as guff." You forget that our current moral 'tradition' is basically 2,000 years old (a little longer if you add the Old Testament moral code). It attacked and dismissed a sexually accepting moral code that was tradition for 10-25,000 years. So, we can debate which tradition is true and which not, but we shouldn't use 'tradition' as grounds for proof.

Just so you don't think I'm ignoring any of your points, I want to specifically comment on this sentence:

londheart said:
The idea that most Western spiritual commentators are simply lost in a mass deception does not do them justice, nor is there adequate explanation/analysis of why that should be the case.

You can call it what you will, but I believe that explanation/analysis is clearly given in Myth of Evil. Your use of the word 'deception' is apt; if you read that lesson, you'll see that's exactly what it is. You can post any comments about that lesson there.

As for your specific comments on legalizing sacred sex instruction, first let me say that we don't seek to legalize general prostitution. We don't oppose legalization (and may support it in principle), but that is not our cause. More important though, we do in fact clearly distinguish between teaching sacred sex and selling plain sex. We even state the argument in legal terms. You can read those points here:

~ Interview with SSS Founder Gary Joseph on the Issue of Legal Paid Sacred Sex Instruction

Last, you commented on culture differences and the 'spiritual lady' atop the pages on this forum. Just in case there's a question, I am American, so I come from the same cultural background as you (your profile indicates UK residence). I assume though, that you're referring to what you perceive as 'cultural' views presented on this website.

Again, the Society for Sacred Sexuality doesn't represent the views of any particular culture. We base our teachings on what we see as universal truths (you can read some of those here). If you disagree with those truths, then this website is not for you. We accept and respect all value systems; we only ask the same for ours.

I think people see what they want to see in things, including sex. You see a "lewd expression" in the woman atop these pages; I see only feminine beauty. In fact, the picture in its original context has no relation whatsoever to sacred sex -- it is simply an Indian woman in traditional dress, whom I thought depicted the beauty, grace, spirituality, sensuality, and mystery of sacred sex.

Perhaps a good starting point for your own understanding is to ask yourself, "Is sex sacred or sinful?"
londheart
New Contributor

Re: Guff    Posted: January 4, 2009 Reply with quote

Gary Joseph said:
Perhaps a good starting point for your own understanding is to ask yourself, "Is sex sacred or sinful?"

At the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on the circumstances - 'Elementary, my dear Watson.' bad laff I mean, it is kind of obvious - if one were to insist otherwise, such as to suggest that it's never sinful, it would seem to suggest some sort of flight from reason, common sense, or bad parenting.
There are many other points in your reply. But let's not try to do too much at once - these are profound issues, after all.
rahasya
Rising Contributor

Re: Guff    Posted: January 5, 2009 Reply with quote

Around Tantrikas, you are not going to find a lot of support for sin. Particularly the original sin in the Xian Bible: Eating of the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.

Good and Evil, right and wrong are not simple discernments.

As a Tibetan monk, a scholar of Western history was asked "what do you think the effect of the French Revolution has been on the West?" He wisely replied "Far too early to tell."

The Black Death that killed many and could be regarded as "bad" by many means that we aren't now all Catholics, living under feudalism, which most would probably consider "good."

The fact is that "right" and "wrong" are outside of the human capacity of understanding. To commit the Original Sin .. to rudely usurp the territory of the Divine,and claim this power is possibly the only real "wrong." It is certainly a severely inflated ego-position!

It is better, perhaps to talk in terms of what one likes and dislikes. What one finds erotic, what one finds perverse. What one wants to explore, and in which area one is a ninny.

On my introductory group, I ask everyone to give permisson to the other paricipants. Everyone gets to say to everyone "I give you permission to explore, in your life, even that which I am too scared to explore in mine."

I recommend you meditate a bit deeply into this idea that you know right and wrong. Especially into weather this "knowing" has anything to do with your own personal experience of existence, or if it is just a set of "values", not "yours", and certainly not "knowlege" that have been given to you in your raising!

Rahasya
advaittantra.com
londheart
New Contributor

Re: Guff    Posted: January 5, 2009 Reply with quote

rahasya said:
Around Tantrikas, you are not going to find a lot of support for sin. Particularly the original sin in the Xian Bible: Eating of the tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.

There is, in your school, a strong sense of debriefing, of recovery from what you see as the brainwashing of the conventional cult. You keep referring back to that - a simple mention of right and wrong triggers theological references to 'original sin,' etc.

rahasya said:
Good and Evil, right and wrong are not simple discernments.

I'll buy that for dollar. Some of the time, anyway.

rahasya said:
As a Tibetan monk, a scholar of Western history was asked "what do you think the effect of the French Revolution has been on the West?" He wisely replied "Far too early to tell."

Yes. The history teacher doesn't always explain that it was to do with the birth of capitalism.

rahasya said:
The Black Death that killed many and could be regarded as "bad" by many means that we aren't now all Catholics, living under feudalism, which most would probably consider "good."

Interesting point, altho I haven't heard it stated before or fully substantiated. A slightly more complex Christian position on that was that such disastrous events represented a Divine 'judgment,' which loosely tallies with a modern, scientific view that they weren't paying sufficient attention to things like hygiene in those times.

rahasya said:
The fact is that "right" and "wrong" are outside of the human capacity of understanding.

But we do our best - you yours, and me mine(?).

rahasya said:
To commit the Original Sin .. to rudely usurp the territory of the Divine,and claim this power is possibly the only real "wrong." It is certainly a severely inflated ego-position!

Gary Joseph says that you respect all positions (but don't, it appears, tolerate them here?). Without presenting myself as a secular humanist, I think they have something interesting to say about this: that there is no God, except in our minds, and that we therefore have to make the best of the situation ourselves. Without myself endorsing that, it seems a good antidote to a disabling fear of God, which is what you seem to be expressing.

rahasya said:
It is better, perhaps to talk in terms of what one likes and dislikes.

Except when it gets out of control.
But I think you may be referring to the need to temper one's perceptions in company, for the sake of politeness(?).

rahasya said:
I recommend you meditate a bit deeply into this idea that you know right and wrong. Especially into weather this "knowing" has anything to do with your own personal experience of existence, or if it is just a set of "values", not "yours", and certainly not "knowlege" that have been given to you in your raising!

You're saying that to someone who has already been there, goes there every day. The last bit you write there looks somewhat 'loaded,' with the exclamation mark etc., like you're trying to direct me to a particular conclusion about myself - without knowing me.
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Sex sinful or sacred    Posted: January 5, 2009 Reply with quote

This whole discussion shows the answer to the debate. As we can all see, points of view can be debated, justified, and judged from all sides. There is no 'right' and 'wrong' in that sense -- only what is right for you.

Londheart, your response to my question is exactly right on, and THAT is the point:

Londheart said:
At the risk of stating the obvious, it depends on the circumstances...

Our society and our current legal system make a value judgment that engagement in sex when there is money exchanged is immoral and illegal under ANY circumstance. But you yourself say, it depends on the circumstance. That is all we advocate:

Under the circumstance where sexual methods that lead to elevated experience and values, sex is a sacred act. And if teachers desire to uplift society by teaching and sharing that with others, that is a moral profession, and should be legal -- and they deserve to be compensated for their service.

What is 'sex?'    Posted: January 5, 2009 Reply with quote

I think when you're dealing with the law, you need to be clinical in a way which can seem unfamiliar and inhuman. Now what is 'sex?' Many people would be inclined to include voyeurism, titillation, nudity, masturbation and much physical contact in that. Others might argue otherwise, defining sex strictly in terms of a procreative act - on that basis, it sometimes occurs to me, Clinton's denials were not a lie.
I'm not always sure that the law is a good influence or master - it seems to lead, for example, to prolix and unrealistically strict regulations that fail to capture popular interest or observance. Religious law, which often enshrines the sanctity of marriage, and 'sex,'within it, however we define that, can seem more relevant and understood on a popular level.
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Posted: January 5, 2009 Reply with quote

We're simply concerned with what is defined as 'illegal' sexual contact, as defined by law in various jurisdictions. You're right -- that varies greatly by jurisdiction. When sexuality is combined with practices that raise the sexual energy to induce expanded heart & mind, it is a sacred and uplifting act, and ought not be illegal, even when taught for money.
londheart
New Contributor

I feel close to exhaustion on this one, but would you accept a rider that long-term effects of activities have to be taken into account in assessing their value, positive or negative?
Gary Joseph
SSS Founder

Absolutely -- we should account for all values.
rahasya
Rising Contributor

Re: Guff    Posted: January 6, 2009 Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest, and I hope I continue the rap in a way that will be of use to whoever comes across it.

First, Gary Joseph has my thanks and respect for getting this forum going, and contributing an impressive and useful body of information.

We have differing views on a couple of things, but seem to manage the EQ fairly well ;-)

I am a teacher of Tantra, have been at that some years now, with what I call success (mainly, students that have become practicing teachers themselves). If you're interested in my school's work, our site is http://tantraschool.co.za

The black death thing... I think credit must go to Dan Carlin (hardcore history) podcast. Pretty sure that's where I first heard the idea. Basically the stagnant, largely deforestated, subsistence based, but unsustainable, heriditary culture suddenly had a shortage of workers, which enabled workers to negotiate wages and working conditions, eventually giving rise to individual rights and trade unions. Onthe religious front, the RCC had everything solidly controlled. Had had it that way a long time too. The depletion of their priests meant they had to reduce priest quality control, and make the job more attractive. Gross corruption followed, and this generation or two of bad priests ensured/enabled/required protest, and first protestantism and then other "heresies" got into the culture.

Of course... who knows if any of this is ultimately "good"… I like some of it, but I refuse to make that judgement. Not mine to make.

.. which is the point of what I am suggesting, directly, and undiluted. as an absolute. I am aware how dangerous absolutes can be, but this one , in my experience, is so useful as to be considered mandatory.

I am not at all respectful of many traditions/positions. There are idiots and dangerous people out there, along with the sweetly motivated. I don't actively "disrespect" them either. I don't go to Christian groups and tell them that they are so hopelessly sexually fascinated, addicted and perverted by their sexual repression that they have no possibility of ever again managing the attainments of their saints.

"rahasya said:
It is better, perhaps to talk in terms of what one likes and dislikes.

Except when it gets out of control.
But I think you may be referring to the need to temper one's perceptions in company, for the sake of politeness(?). "

.. no.

I mean that it is a useful attitude, mental discipline or approach to issues of "right" and"wrong" at ANY scale with an understanding that "I in truth do not know right and wrong" and be forced to "I have no standard by which I can judge. I must make my choice, on my own responsibility. My response can be guided or chosen from my response to the moment, to whatever degree of honesty and depth I choose to respond from. It cannot be guided by my notions of right and wrong, because that is not within my capacity"

I know how strange, how mad this can sound. I know psychologists tell us with certainty that a child of 4 or so "knows right from wrong". bull****. A four year old has discerned what culturally appropriate responses are required. Nothing to do with right and wrong at all.

Tantra (not official ss-now point of view) uses uncompromising insistence on the truth as a method to at least dispel the known veils/occlusions, the understood but commonly accepted cultural lies, no matter how nice or how commonly accepted they may be.

I do seriously recommend to anyone that can understand the suggestion, as I believe the Bible does, an attitude of denouncing/resisting the idea that one knows right and wrong, as a matter of truth.

Forcing any idea, even this idea, that I like so much that I'm tempted to call it "good", but I won't, forcing any idea is an "untrue" thing.

This is a "use a thorn to remove a thorn" strategy. One uproots, removes a false idea by temporarily forcing an opposing view. When the (usually troublesome) view is confronted and removed, the forced view that was used to address it is also discarded. In the case of this particular view about right and wrong, no discarding will be required, because it happens to be true.

So, sure, I urge you, and anyone I can, whether I know anything about you/them or not to at least explore, inquire into this seemingly foolish idea, and discover if there are perhaps a few areas of your life where automatic beliefs are limiting or no longer in accord with what you want.

And, sure, I give more or less unsolicited and advice, and random preaching ... this is a forum. What to do. One takes a wild guess.

I have had all sorts of people making the most amusing, flattering, insulting and every other kind of assumptions about me, from a few words.

Maybe this clarifies things a bit, or clouds them, who can know. Just, for sure, this is an individual's opinion, not the opinion of any organisation or school, Gary J's, or mine.

Rahasya
advaittantra.com
GO TO: Forum HomePage >> Legal Sacred Sex Instruction EZ-Print View  SSS Founder Gary Joseph is away.<br><br>Topic is locked: you can view, but cannot post.  SSS Founder Gary Joseph is away.<br><br>Forum is locked: you can view, but cannot post.
Page 2 of 2
Go to Page Previous  1, 2
Email me when someone posts here
Add To Favorites

FORUM MENU:  
All times are US/Can Pacific Standard Time
SITE MENU:
Forum Moderators: Gary Joseph, Moderator Team, Legal Team
(contact for questions & to report abuse)

Home            What's New            Get Involved            Legal/Medical/Privacy            Posting Rules            Help            About            Contact

NEW!
Live snapshot of recent visitors:

The Society for Sacred Sexuality welcomes your Donations.
© 2004-present, Society for Sacred Sexuality - all rights reserved worldwide.
No material from this site may be copied or used without the owner's express permission.
Site Issues: